Tuesday, January 01, 2019

4 things that I thank God for 1st morning of 2019

This morning, I woke up to "A Pure Heart, that's what I long for".

I slept very well last night, thinking about why a new year has so much significance all over the world. We set resolutions, we set goals, dare to dream a little bigger, hope a little more. Different ones plaster FB and Social media with all the "Happy New Year" messages, similar to milestone celebrations like Christmas. So, I got inspired by Janelle - she sent me a puppy shiba thinking he's batman. I decided to do the same for Kenji... so Happy New Year everyone. May you dare to dream, believe, imagine. :-D


I had a very good end-of-year season this year. Time slowed down in these last 2 weeks, leaving more time for fellowship with friends here in Abu Dhabi, with time to stock-take and thank God for the work year 2018, with long walks with Kenji, with me-time enjoying simplest things like grocery shopping, with trying to get back my fitness with some runs and tennis, with enjoying books and dramas, with Steve and I just talking and enjoying each other's presence. :)) I feel happy, and ready for this new year this morning.

For friendship with Sean 
Grateful for the friendship with Sean. Sean is the "garang", 讲义气, I settle for you" type, and he always stands up for what he believes is right. It's an uncanny friendship between him and Steve... so glad that they can support each other in work here. We celebrated Christmas together, and Hui Ning will move over early 2019 :)) So lovely.

Steve is so funny. He says that the photographer's hand "zhun". Hahahaha.

For SJ and Nikko - FO@SSG 2018
As I stock-take and cleaned my desk, I thanked God for SJ and Nikko. They are the ones who make my remote arrangement work, "carrying and lugging" me into meetings and discussions with heavy laptops and chargers and ipads and cameras, being patient when the connection goes awry, accommodate my timing as I am in a different time zone. Maybe some see remote work as a privilege. But to me, remote work is... just work... nothing changes and work gets done, just in a different physical location. It is really the effort of the individual, the whole team and the leader - who makes the arrangement possible and successful. So thank you SJ and Nikko.

See - to participate in SSG's active competition, we did crazy things like remotely timing our actions. It is the effort we all put in, that enabled my work. 感恩。

They are also the ones who spur me on, who provide that adrenaline and good stress. I never knew that I took so much notes. But I did... I took so much notes in 2018 (10 books?!), the most ever in my decade-long career in SSG (then-WDA). The learning and development has been incredible and I pray that this year, I continue to expand in my thinking, continue to grow. I am so thankful this morning. :)

I am still old-school. I love the feel of scribbled pages, that texture of written ink on paper. If you add in digital notes, then it will be even more :-0. And I categorized them into the work months and have placed them into a file. FO@SSG 2018.

For my failures
I am thankful for the failures that I went through too... for actually, these are the most important lessons in 2018. For knowing that I am very weak and yet in Him, there's strength and forgiveness. I did and said things I shouldn't have, I didn't do the things that I should have. I crumbled many times, but then again, stand up and believe in His mercies being new every morning. In the depths of my heart, there are stories and journeys untold - only Jesus knows.

Many mornings and evenings at MacRitchie reservoir, loving the lone time spent with Abba Father, renewing my spirit.

For being alive, strong and physically well
I thank God for physical health too.... God knows how many laps I swam, how I sometimes forced my tired body to just run, tennis.... And I am glad to have the strength - to exercise and keep fit. It's not just the keeping fit bit. I work out because the feeling of being alive and breathing hard keeps me energized... it dispels negativity, clears my mind, strengthens me. Sweat, is the antidote to emotional downswings.

Last run in 2018.
I love K's cheeky look! He came to look for me at the tracks after my run, with Steve of course. 💗

It's been great. There are so many things to thank God for this beautiful morning. :)

I started my morning with "A pure heart, that's what I long for..."
Create in my a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Psalms 51:10)
May I live this out in 2019. That's what I want to stand on this year.

(Piano cover - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD-4XR0lcDo)
"A pure heart, that's what I long for
A heart that follows hard, after thee

A heart that hides your words
So that sin will not come in
A heart that's undivided
But one you rule and reign

A heart that beats compassion
That pleases you my Lord
A sweet aroma of worship
That rises to your throne."

No comments: