Friday, December 23, 2022

The running week

How and where shall I even begin, that time has flown, or "ran" by this last one week again. And in fact, it would have been the last 2 weeks, or last 2.5 weeks. It seemed so far ago that we had that run, and yet it was just last Saturday. Last Saturday this time, I think we were all feeling so good, and body so sore. 

I clocked a personal best. Never did I imagine that I'd be able to do under 55 in my life. I remember that I thought my goal was to get it under an hour when I started to enjoy trail running. I honestly felt quite happy - it's just been consistency - the weekly weekend runs, and the regularity of just putting on my shoes and head out, not because I enjoy running all the time, but because there are days where I just need that time out. 



















This is the group of friends who have kept me going especially the 3rd quarter of 2022, planning out our weekly runs and then having a good dinner thereafter. We actually did this for the last 2 ADNOC runs, and this is pretty amazing. It became so much more enjoyable because of them. 

And at this specific moment, I am in the hotel room, in Ikebukuro, waiting for Sabrina to sort out some stuff, and just felt I wanted to capture some thoughts. I could spend my time thinking about Abu Dhabi and the post-trip matters and work, and I could spend my time thinking about Christmas - and wishing all a joyous and merry Christmas, and I could spend time thinking about people I love and how next year will be, and I could also spend time planning ahead, etc... but there is nothing more I want to do than to capture these last 2 weeks. And for now - the running week first.

I had an awesome time out with Neha and Shan earlier in the week - we chilled and talked for some good solid hours, and Shan stayed over at my place. Workplace relationships can grow and blossom. I am thankful for these iron ladies. And - we are also all running too. Something special in that. 


















And then Nikko and family came. This was immediately post run - and we had fun! Just catching up, laughing ourselves silly and dialing Kenneth in, and then playing with Nikayla - this fiesty little one - and then soon, we will all meet up in Singapore again. Again, this is a work relationship turned friendship. 


















And then, there was Mubadala - compared to 2019, I thought it paled in comparison, but nonetheless, it brought some cheer around ZSC. Watched that on Saturday, but the real highlight on sports was the World Cup. Caught several several matches, and at the finals - strangers became united. I was on route to catch the plane, and 2 different ones shared their live stream with me. So Steve and I watched the match 2-0 up to Argentina at Madang, and then I caught the rest with these 2 strangers. :) I think there was really not quite some breathing space for me the last 2 weeks, because of the excitement and adrenalin. 

And then, with a last run last Sunday morning, and with a badminton sesh, it was off to AUH airport. Being busy has kept me alive that running week. Literally, it was some real runs, and it was also running from one to another. 

Busyness has its place; 
Busyness means there is much to life
Busyness is a sign that one is alive.
And yet, sometimes, busyness also takes away the mind
Consciously from the necessary thinking through and reflecting. 
Strangely, that is also good; there is some relief and respite

And when the world winds down
And especially when the night caves in
I find there is such beauty and the quiet moments 
Then, the thoughts and reflections would return
Then it's me and my space, me and my tapping away.

Busyness and Quietness - they are both so precious. 


No comments: