Sunday, December 11, 2022

The most beautiful season of the year

December has just come upon us, just like that... quietly, quickly, the most beautiful month of the year has arrived. The weather has gotten chillier and the long sleeves, the warm and snug and thick winter wear is out again. And I, am totally covered in a jacket and with a blankie too. :)

This afternoon, I am counting my blessings in the last 2 months. I've had such a wonderful year, filled with new experiences, discovering and learning and growing. And I can never be more thankful than how I feel right now. 

Thankful - for a good dinner conversation with my ex CE, who came to UAE for a conference. Lovely time, and it allowed me for a chance to visit Sharjah too. Otherwise, I don't know how I can cover all the different emirates in my time here. :-D I think - it's amazing to know how paths can cross in the most unthinkable manner. That evening, I was wondering how on earth I could be in Sharjah, sitting at some restaurant overlooking the Sharjah night view, eating some arabic dinner, and talking about libraries and learning. How amazing, how thankful. :))


















And - then this group of friends that I now do life with. Almost unexplainable the bonds. Eat together, Run together, Travel together, Laugh together. We choose whom we admit into our lives; we choose whom we allow access to - and conversations have grown deeper. Understanding too. One of the longest dinners we've had recently - at the Michelin 1-star Hakkasan. Again, I don't think I would have ever gone there if not for them. :)))

















And then, with Sabie... thankful for the steadfast friendship and love. We are going to go Japan. Just like that. I need a break, she needs a break, and then - that's it. We just decided to do it. So looking forward - winter wonderland in japan, and then go to Onsen, go explore the familiar-yet-new spots - it's been quite a while since I last went to Tokyo, go meet Maki, go Keio University. And basically, it is also a retreat for me - recalibrate, reset, reflect, and get ready for 2023. 
























And - for work - 2022 is about change and yet also, no change. With the different components of work, here I've learnt to go with the flow, understand dynamics and human relationships, the importance of soft skills. Super thankful for a great team in Shan and Neha - and somehow, at one point, we all felt we really have each other's back and the determination to make work work - it's one strong and bonded team. It's a very happy feeling - to have a strong team at work; reminded me of the times in GSDD with the WPLN girls. And while Donna has left, still - she left an indelible print in my DED life. And Mahendra too - the conversations and the encouragement - from a senior who has done much more life, and work in the UAE. 

One of our events - sharing and then keepsake pics. :)


















Bidding farewell... sad and yet happy for her.


















And - Mahendra - always so generous and ready to share and encourage.























One more piece on work recently - did a guest lecture at NYU for Nancy. I've done it online before, but this is the first time in-person at the campus, and my 2nd time visiting NYU-AD. The first was when we just came to Abu Dhabi, and when I stepped into the campus, there was that sense of familiarity. It was bustling with life, and I was given a short tour around the place. And on the lecture, I did enjoy it pretty much, with the interactions from the cohort. These students are from all over the world, and I recall I was trying to remember my own uni days. It seemed such a long time ago. :) I did think about taking on the academic route at one point in time in life, but I think I was also much curious to see and learn about the world. 








































FIFA World Cup - another area to be thankful for, because of the moments of togetherness brought about. We decided to get the TOD package, and that means access to all the games and highlights. I was rooting for the under-dogs. Japan... alas, it was not meant to be... they played and defended so well, only to lose with the weaker penalty shots. And Croatia made it to the semis. And then Morocco. Now I am rooting for Morocco. I do not know much about soccer, tbh, maybe a little more about Liverpool. But, I can tell when it's solid defense, when there's a common goal. I thought the crowd played a huge role too - the cheers for Morocco and the sea of red-green last night. It's a superb season - because there's much to celebrate when it comes to passion, competition, and fighting for your country. 

And then, for good health and fitness. Apart from a covid episode this year, I am thankful that I am well and fit. Lots of water, sleeping more, and then exercising regularly - all key to wellness. I have also been learning more sports, inspired by of cos the ZJL gang here. Badminton, Tennis, Running - the staples nowadays. And it's also about healthy competition. So funny at times. Laugh Die Me when everyone wants to compete against everyone. :-D
And there are just too many pics of the sports calendar - too many too many. Maybe post Adnoc run, or when I finally beat Lawrence at badminton. 

One thing special remains - that I've continued to run throughout the year. This always brings me much joy. No matter how tough the run is, at the end of it, I always feel so good. Not all runs are good ones, some days, they are tough, like when the mind and body is tired, it is tough. When there's head wind, it is tough. But the determination and perseverance always pays off. The end of the run, where I slow down to breathe, stretch, sweat. So good. And then, the tired muscles and a good massage thereafter - always makes it so worthwhile. Through this year, run in AD, run in SG, run in Canada, run in Spain,  run anywhere, as long as I have my shoes and running gear. :))

And one of the early morning runs - I always love the sunrise.


















And plenty year-end gatherings aplenty, one of which was a recent lunch with Wilson and his wife. So blessed. Wilson is one of the first friends I know from Singapore, the CEO of Capitala - who built rihan heights, with Mubadala. He introduced Steve and I to UAE, and in the initial days, I learnt much about the work culture here and about UAE from him. He's moved back to Singapore, but came back for a visit with Emily. It's such a good lunch. Time just flew by, and... bingsu was so delish. :-D 


















And so - the most beautiful time of the month has entered into its second week. The Adnoc run is next Saturday, and then there's Nikko and family coming, Japan beckoning, and then Shui Yen's god family coming. It's going to be a busy one. But yet, strangely, I also know it's going to be a most special and reflective one. How I end this year will be how I enter next year too. This year, has been most beautiful. :)

And as usual - the once-a-year Christmas tree with Kenji staring at me. Same same for the last 5 years here. 💓💓💓



No comments: